Authorities make second arrest in home invasion, shooting in Charleston | News
CHARLESTON, MO (KFVS)- Officers say a second man has been arrested and accused in a late night home invasion and shooting last month.
Officers arrested Eric Lawrence, 24, of Charleston, Friday, August 3 on charges of robbery, assault, armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon.
He was taken to the Mississippi County Jail on a $750,000 cash only bond.
Director Robert Hearnes says George Johnson, 23, of Charleston was charged with first degree assault and burglary, as well as, armed criminal action, and unlawful use of a weapon.
The incident happened around 11 p.m. on July 28 at a home in the 1200 block of Oak Street.
"I was sitting on my front porch having a cigarette when I heard pounding on the door," Kellie Butler, a neighbor, said.
According to Charleston Department of Public Safety, several suspects forced their way into the home.
"I heard two kicks then the door being kicked in," Butler said.
The suspects then assaulted one person and shot another person several times.
"I didn't know what was going on," Butler said.
It's believed that a robbery was the suspect's motive.
The victim was still recovering in the hospital Sunday and was in stable condition.
Officers say several others in the home, including a child, were not injured.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol is assisting in the investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Charleston DPS at (573) 683-3737.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Mississippi County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse