East Prairie to host bone marrow drive | News
EAST PRAIRIE, MO (KFVS)- A bone marrow drive in honor of 12-year-old student Michael Shands will be held at A.J. Martin Elementary School in East Prairie on Wednesday, December 19, from 3 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Shands was diagnosed with leukemia in July and has been undergoing chemotherapy for the past five months.
If you are a match, there are two ways of donating:
- About 75% of the time the donation is done through blood, similar to donating platelets or plasma.
- About 25% (usually if you match a child) the donation is done through a surgical procedure, you are under general anesthesia. Needles are used to withdraw liquid marrow from the pelvic bone area.
A simple cheek swab is used to check if you are a match.
To better serve the patients, only potential donors 18-44 years old can join the registry at this drive.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Mississippi County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse